Monday, 3 June 2013

Introducing: Ready. Set. Write!

So I mentioned recently that I’ve tossed myself into working on my next writing project. I actually began it some time ago, but with all kinds of other busyness (revising, agent research, and life in general) distracting me, it’s been a series of starts and stops. This time last year, I was immersed in drafting the manuscript I’m about to begin querying. In terms of writing, creating that story was my only priority. Not so this year.  Now, I’m blogging, networking with other writers, venturing into Queryland, toying with multiple story ideas, and…Well, you get the picture. I could REALLY use some focus and accountability.

That’s why I was thrilled to be approached by a group of lovely writer friends with a way to keep myself on track. Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Elodie Nowodazkij, Jaime Morrow, and I are hosting the summer writing intensive Ready. Set. WRITE! and we'd love it if you’d join us! The plan is to kick off a summer of writing on Tuesday, June 11th and write like crazy for two months straight! Each week, we’ll update on what we’re writing and set new goals for the following week.

Sound like fun? Here are a few more details about our summer writing intensive Ready. Set. Write!

Purpose: for drafting/revising/writing flash fiction or short stories—whatever! As long as we're writing!

What we'll do:

--set weekly goals (or monthly or overall goals). Again—whatever works!

--update weekly on What's Up Wednesday (ya know—in the What I'm Writing section). We'll share what we've accomplished and set goals for the new week. We can also include a snippet or just gush about our stories.

We'll also be hosting occasional drafting/revising parties on Twitter, providing lots of support for each other, and…AND sponsoring a giveaway! Ready. Set. WRITE! will kick off Tuesday June 11th with sign-ups on our blogs. We’ll set our first goals on June 12th's edition of What's Up Wednesday and update each other every Wednesday! In the meantime, decide what you want to write/revise. Set your goals! Write a little. Or a lot. Spread the word! And be prepared to Ready. Set. WRITE!

23 comments:

  1. Summer's going to be a bit insane for me, but have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could've joined us! Hope you have an awesome summer even if it's super busy! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! And it starts just as my exam is out of the way so I'll have the time to do it. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the timing works out well for you! Good luck with your exam!

      Delete
  3. :D Querying is so exciting and scary and thrilling...Getting focused on writing during this time can definitely help. So happy we're all hosting this and thanks again for the awesome button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like Alison, I'll definitely need the distraction from querying. I'm so glad you guys asked me to join you and that you like the button! :)

      Delete
  4. I desperately need to set some goals because I'm starting to flounder and make excuses. Looking forward to jumping in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer is shaping up to be busy, so I can really use a way to keep myself focused. I'm eager to jump in too!

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited for this! It's exactly what I need right now. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Good to hear you're up for the challenge!

      Delete
  6. Yay! Hoping for lots of productivity and new words for us this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can't wait to hear how about everyone's progress!

      Delete
  7. SO glad you are hosting this with us! And I am so excited to get major work done with my story! Also, LOVE the button - in case I haven't told you enough already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for inviting me! A summer writing challenge is a perfect idea. It's just the kick in the pants my WIP needs. And I'm happy you like the button. It was fun to make. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, this is perfect. I'm in!
    Gonna write a blog post for tomorrow to help spread the word!
    Yay, this is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! Glad to hear you'll be joining us! And thanks for spreading the word! :)

      Delete
  9. I would if I had anything to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you suddenly have any brilliant new story ideas, feel free to join in!

      Delete
  10. What an awesome group of people! This is a fantastic idea and it couldn't have come at a better time--my last day of school is Friday! Looking forward to a few months of writing full-time with lots of good company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! I'm excited you'll be joining us! We've had some good feedback today, so it looks like we'll have an awesome group to cheer each other on!

      Delete
  11. If I wasn't doing JuNoWriMo I would join. It looks like an amazing idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very brave to do JuNoWriMo! I couldn't possibly write a book in a month! I'm more of a slow and steady kind of writer. Best wishes for your writing in June!

      Delete
  12. Yes, definitely! I hope it's not too late for me to join up. I didn't find out until now; a blog I read is also doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete