Monday, 22 September 2014

Introducing PHOBIC by Cortney Pearson!


Hey, everyone! Today I’m super excited to be a part of the book blitz for Phobic by Cortney Pearson. As soon as I read the description for Phobic, I was itching to read it. A story about a haunted house that’s alive? Bring it on! As soon as autumn hits, I start gearing up for Halloween and all things spooky, and Phobic is the perfect creepy, mysterious read for this time of year.

I loved the main character, Piper, and how she handled the challenges thrown at her throughout the book—some normal and others down right freaky. The moment I read chapter one I was hooked. I had to know the history of Piper’s house and the explanation for its weirdness. I’ll also admit to staying up until 4:00 a.m. to get those answers.

One of my favourite things about Phobic was Cortney’s knack for unique metaphors and word choices. Many times I found myself saying, “Ooo, I like how she put that!” I also loved that while Piper’s struggles concerning her house were on the bizarre side (eek!), her teenage struggles were very real.

So if you’re looking for a spooky YA read for autumn or any other time of the year, I recommend snuggling up with Phobic! And don't forget to enter the rafflecopter below for the chance to win a $15 Amazon gift card!

Here's a better look at what Phobic is about:

Series: The Forbidden Doors #1
Release date: September 8th 2014
Purchase: Amazon

Fifteen-year-old Piper Crenshaw knows her house is strange. It’s never needed repairs since it was built in the 1800s, and the lights flicker in response to things she says. As if those things aren’t creepy enough, it’s also the place where her mother committed murder.

To prove she’s not afraid of where she lives, Piper opens a forbidden door, which hides a staircase that leads to the ceiling. That’s when the flashbacks of the original residents from 1875 start, including a love affair between two young servants. Each vision pulls Piper deeper into not only their story, but also her house. Piper confides in her best friend, Todd, whom she's gradually falling for, but even he doesn't believe her. At least, not until her house gets axed during a prank, and the act injures Piper instead, cutting a gash the size of Texas into her stomach.

Piper realizes her house isn’t haunted—it’s alive. To sever her link to it, she must unravel the clues in the flashbacks and uncover the truth about her mother’s crime, before she becomes part of her house for good.

And here's a bit about the author: 

Cortney Pearson is a book nerd who studied literature at BYU-Idaho, a music nerd who plays clarinet in her local community orchestra, and a writing nerd who creates books for young adults. She lives with her husband and three sons in a small Idaho farm town.

If you'd like to follow Cortney, you can find her here:


a Rafflecopter giveaway

10 comments:

  1. I had to sit here and think about the scariest things that's ever happened to me for a while- I'm pretty boring apparently! =) But I did have to call 911 earlier this summer back when my husband busted into our bedroom and said someone was trying to break into our bathroom window. The police came and found footprints across our back porch. Not really sure what happened, but we think it was a case of 'late at night, too many drinks, neighbor got the wrong house'. =) And I'm reading Phobic right now too, and ditto to everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! That IS pretty scary, even if it was just a case of drunken confusion! Glad you're enjoying PHOBIC as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Erin! I'm so happy you liked it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'll have to pass PHOBIC along to my son because I'm sure he'll like it too! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Love this book and love Cortney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaaaaay… Go Cort!!! So stoked for her!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And her book is definitely worth getting excited about! :)

      Delete