Thursday, 1 January 2015

An Empty Jar Full of Possibility

I’ve never been a big fan of setting New Year’s resolutions. Like many people, I have a tendency to beat myself up when I inevitably break some—or all—of them. Not a stellar way to motivate myself. Am I against setting goals or aiming for self-improvement? Definitely not. It’s just that each new year is a mystery, which makes it hard to set resolutions in stone. Not to mention life has a nasty habit of drop kicking my resolutions into oblivion by February.

That’s why I was totally on board when Jaime suggested something different this year: Rememberlutions Jars. Seeing as we were lucky enough to ring in 2015 in the same place, we thought it would be a fun New Year’s Eve activity to decorate our jars together.

What’s a Rememberlutions Jar, you ask? Simply put, it’s a decorated jar for stashing your memories and accomplishments throughout the coming year. It’s a way to collect all those special details that will make 2015 uniquely yours. Then, at the end of the year, you can read all the tidbits you recorded to celebrate the high points and the little things that warmed your heart or made you proud. Great way to cap off the year and gear up for the next one, don’t you think?


I chose to decorate my jar with starry paper and a couple lines from a Snow Patrol song that are significant to me. Once I get home again, I'm going to toss a handful of silver star spangles inside for good measure, since I have some of those kicking around my craft cupboard. This is what my Rememberlutions Jar means to me as I jump headlong into 2015:

▪ I want to celebrate my successes instead of dwelling on my failures.
▪ I want to build on what I do right instead of tearing myself down for everything I do wrong.
▪ I want to remember the positive and leave the negative behind me.
▪ I want to encourage myself to be optimistic, to seek out exciting changes, and to look forward to a year full of possibility.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and a jar full of possibility and joy in 2015!


3 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! And how much fun will it be to read them all a year from now.

    Happy New Year, Erin :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm tempted to employ something similar, and maybe get my kiddo involved. Happy New Year, Erin, and best of luck in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I've never heard of this before, but I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete