Monday, 27 July 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #8

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

My goals were to work on revisions for at least 12 hours and devote a minimum of 4 hours to querying and/or working on a submission package. I spent around 16 hours on revisions and about 11 on querying and fleshing out my synopsis.

My goal(s) for this week

12 hours on revisions and 4 hours on querying and/or my submission package sounds like a good plan again.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

I do as he instructs, and a lake the color of turquoise spreads through my mind, fresh and cool. I’ve never seen water so brilliant before, even shadowed as it is by heavy clouds and the snow-capped mountains looming over it. Rain pelts the water, sending a million concentric rings rippling out over its surface. Pines hem the shoreline, and somewhere in the distance, a loon releases a haunting cry. I listen to the water lap against the stone-studded sand, its ebb and flow a tranquil rhythm, and as I imagine raindrops tapping my skin, I realize [boy] is kissing me again and again, pressing his lips everywhere.

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Disciplining myself to sit down and work when I was tempted to devour An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir all at once. Such a gripping, gorgeously written book that totally goes for the gut. Loved it so, so much. It was the best kind of distraction.

Something I love about my WIP

I love that it feels large in scope since the plot involves a global threat, but that it also feels very small because there’s a sense of intimacy between certain characters that draws the focus inward and is ultimately the heart of the story.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your supportive comments each week this summer. Without them, this writing dream of mine might have evaporated entirely. It’s been a precarious summer for me because of all the moving busyness and the frustration of not getting any closer to publishing someday, and you guys have kept me going. I’m so grateful! Hope you all feel encouraged today!

Stay tuned next week for our third giveaway, hosted by yours truly!


20 comments:

  1. Wow, Lady, you killed it this week! Amazing job! Querying takes sooooo long, doesn't it? Amazing that one little letter can take so much work. LOVE the excerpt. Good luck for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your WIP passage is GORGEOUS, so descriptive and haunting! Good luck with your goals this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful excerpt, Erin! I really like the use of the verb "hem." Good luck this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting so much accomplished! And I hear you on the frustrations with publishing. Every day is a new battle in psyching myself up again and RSW has definitely helped with that. But dude - your excerpt and your story? KILLER. You've got this. Good luck with your goals this week! And good luck querying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Erin, that excerpt is gorgeous. I love your style, and how you use descriptions to put the reader right in the scene -- I'm having prose envy! Also, you're making me want to track down An Ember in the Ashes, like, yesterday. Best of luck on your goals this week, and congrats on doing so well last week. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow on getting all of that writing and querying package stuff done. Good job! And your excerpt is beautiful, it really pulls in! Crossing my fingers for you on the querying end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that excerpt! So well-written.

    AN EMBER IN THE ASHES is incredible. (And now I want to reread it again!)

    You did an amazing job with your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your excerpt, so atmospheric! Best of luck with querying, it's so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous excerpt! You have a talent--don't give up! I completely understand about AN EMBER IN THE ASHES--I read it obsessively, too. SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love how detailed your goals are...the way that you break down the timing of your goals is pretty disciplined so you should feel very accomplished! Good job and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was probably one of the most beautiful kissing scenes I've ever read. Totally pulled me in and swept me away. And as a lot of people have mentioned...AN EMBER IN THE ASHES how are you sooo good??? I listened on audiobook. The readers were fantastic and I had my headphones in while I was cooking, while I was exercising, while I was getting ready for bed. Completely obsessed. Good luck with your revising and querying goals this week. I'm so happy to hear that RSW has given you fortitude. It's done the same for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your excerpt, your word choices especially. So gorgeous. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reviewed An Ember in the Ashes for BookPage and I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the violence in the novel. I thought it was a lot, but ever since I became a parent, I can't handle things like I used to.

    Congrats on your writing. Querying can be demoralizing. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how long querying can take, isn't it?!
    I finished An Ember in the Ashes on Saturday and I thought it was excellent. Something is holding me back from giving it 5 stars- I'm not sure what though. Maybe it's just a personal reading slump. Who knows.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ember In The Ashes is a fantastic book! I won't blame you at all if you decide to take a break and devour it. Congrats on making so much progress with revisions and querying, I hope to hear good news from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been fighting the urge to read over writing all summer. Doesn't help that I've read a string of fantastic books. Sounds like you got tons done though, so that's awesome! Loved the excerpt, but no surprises there. ;-) And I can totally picture it because I've totally been there. Very accurately described! (Especially this last time we were there, considering it was raining.) Hope all the querying and putting together a submission package is going all right. So tedious, but hopefully so worth it in the end! Have another awesome week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the imagery in your excerpt. Congratulations on surpassing your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in love with your snippet! Also, congrats on making your goals and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, yes, it's tough to write when you're reading a good book :)

    Here's my belated RSW post

    ReplyDelete
  20. That excerpt is beautifully written! Love it! I'm right there with you, querying my little heart out. It takes SO much time to get everything right and to research agents, etc., etc. Good luck on your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete